Mayor Tony Perry and the Middletown Township Committee took the initiative earlier this week and presented a proposal to the Middletown Board of Education which could prevent the anticipated school closures in Leonardo and Navesink Schools for the 2025–2026 school year.

Perry’s action came on the heels of the Board of Education’s approval of a tentative budget proposal on Tuesday, March 18, which included plans to close the two elementary schools and convert Bayshore Middle School into a combined elementary school due to budgetary constraints.
The Township Committee and the Board of Education hosted a shared services meeting at Town Hall last Wednesday, to discuss collaborative solutions.
As part of the effort, the Township will restructure the agreement for the Middletown Township Police Department’s Special Law Enforcement Officer (SLEO) III program. With the support of the Township Committee, this restructuring will provide the Board of Education with $600,000 in savings but will not compromise safety for students.
Additionally, the Township discussed the acquisition of a $2 million 10-acre tract located at Sleepy Hollow Road and Kings Highway East and owned by the Middletown school district.
The Township would use its Open Space Trust Fund to acquire and preserve the land and their proposal will be presented and further discussed at next Tuesday, April 8 meeting. The meeting begins at 7:00 PM in the Middletown High School North Auditorium.
“I’m very proud that we found a practical solution to the District’s budget challenges that will keep our schools open come September,” said Mayor Perry. “This solution reflects our shared commitment to providing students with the exceptional education they deserve without disruption. By working together, as well as listening to the ideas voiced by our community members, we are strengthening the future of our schools.”
“I’m grateful for the successful collaboration between the Township and District, which has led to a positive outcome for our students and families,” said Township Schools Superintendent Dr. Jessica Alfone. “By working together, we are paving the way for a sustainable and thriving future for our students and the entire community.”
“Board leadership has worked hard and will continue to collaborate with Mayor Perry, the Township Committee, and our legislators to address our budgetary constraints,” said Board of Education President Frank Capone. “I want to thank Mayor Perry for the extensive discussions over the last few days that have resulted in what I believe the Board will approve as a solution for this year’s budget to ensure these schools will remain open. I look forward to community participation in the strategic planning process to ensure a sustainable future for the Middletown School District.”
I’m at a loss as to understanding why, if he’d been thinking about this plan over the past year, Mayor Perry didn’t present it before all the outrage and hysteria over the school closings. Kudos to the parent that talked about it at the live forum last week!